Friday, October 1, 2010

Regurge Redux?

Miles: 17-something round trip
Avg. Speed: 13.5
Weight: 189.5

Today was the second day of riding partway to work.  I decided to stick to the same route, mostly because procrastination prevented me from mapping out one with a few less hills.  Besides, Happy Barfday earlier in the week was surely just an anomaly, right?

Thankfully, yes.  Mostly.  I stuck to the same route I ended up taking on Wednesday, even though it looked like my low-traffic road was open today.  I figured I was better off with the hills I knew than ones I had a vague memory of suffering on a few times.

Not taking the turn-off there meant I missed Barf Hill Numero Uno.  I was still suffering up a more gradual hill, but it didn't have quite the same impact.  Sooner than I expected, I was at the turnoff for the base of Barf Hill Numero Dos.  Proving that I could outwit an inanimate lump of asphalt, I made a right turn at the base and snuck around the side.  It turns out there's a steep one that way, too, but it was shorter.  Best of all, at the top I still had all my fluids (and dignity).

My celebrating was short-lived, though.  Despite the fact that there were no more hills of any consequence on the last 1/3 of the ride in, my legs were pretty much shot.  I stayed just one mishandled burp away from christening a Barf (non)Hill Numero Tres for the next 3 miles or so.  Eventually I recovered a tiny bit, just in time to cruise into the parking lot at work.  Hooray for the Competent Bicycle Commuter lie.

And as before, the ride home was very uneventful.  I'm sensing a pattern here...

1 comment:

  1. See?! Immediate, observable improvement!

    I know it sucks to begin a day with a tough ride, but would you really rather have to fight hills and your guts *after* a full day of work?

    No. Freaking. Thank you.

    Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete